[QuadList] Searching for SMPTE standard for Ampex Type A format video recording

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Tue Dec 2 11:43:52 CST 2014

Third attempt to Quad list!

Specifications for the type A format can be found in the SMPTE Journal, Vol. 86, pp. 952-957. Additionally, format information is contained in the following American National Standards and two SMPTE recommended practices:

V 16.37
V 16.38
V 16.39
V 16.40

The article indicates that the above material was being editorially modified and will once again be reviewed. Mind you that this may have never happened when type C was soon to be agreed upon.

The first working group for the development of type A was submitted drafts in August of 1975 and were circulated to the main committee in March of 1977.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Preservation Level Videotape Transfers and More!

Offices located at:
3071 North Lima St.
Burbank, CA. 91504
818-563-1073