[QuadList] The Race to Save America's Public Media History

G Schmitz coldbay1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 03:54:29 CST 2014

On 02/07/2014 07:06 PM, Chuck Reti wrote:

> First in a series in The Atlantic about the American Archive of Public
> Broadcasting,
> Anyone on the List involved in this project?
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/the-race-to-save-americas-public-media-history/283381/
>

> Chuck Reti
> Detroit MI
> WV8A

This paragraph caught my attention.  Of course nobody talks much about
the downside of using digital media any more - it's a given. Perhaps we
have no choice but I think that in the long haul, unless some new
technology comes along most of what we are dedicating to digital media
will be lost. Of course that's just my opinion:
> By digitizing these archives, Cariani hopes to keep them intact and
> available to students of history for years and years down the road.
> The digital preservation files the archive creates will be held at the
> Library of Congress. "They have told us that their mandate is to
> preserve that material for the life of the republic plus 500 years,"
> Cariani says. "I don't know how they start that clock or how they do
> that, but that's what they told us and we decided that was long
> enough." (Of course, digital preservation has its own challenges, but
> Cariani prefers not to dwell on that: "I start feeling nauseous when I
> start thinking about how you actually assure digital preservation,"
> she adds.)

Have a nice day!  --greg