[QuadList] 60th Anniversary of NTSC-QuadList members involved in article

Charles Park Seward park at videopark.com
Tue Jan 21 12:15:00 CST 2014

Nice article.

Was any thought given to color when the first NTSC was formed? Was any thought given to color when the first Ampex VTR was created?

It was truly impressive to add color to an existing monochrome system. I just wonder if there were any efforts to provide for compatible color in the beginning.

I understand that the CBS color system produced great pictures but didn't handle motion that well due to the sequential color.

Early RCA color sets had three monochrome picture tubes projecting on a rear screen since the "Tricolor" sets had not been invented yet. For some demos, RCA planted an engineer in the audience with a hand pot to keep adjusting the phase since it had a hard time locking.

Funny, spinning color wheels aren't dead. I have one spinning right now in my DLP HD set.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747