[QuadList] image dissector

J. Mitch Hopper id at brainmist.com
Tue Jun 10 15:43:28 CDT 2014

Thought the group might be interested to see this little bit of history.
I found this Image Dissector at the Dayton Hamfest last month. The seller had no idea what it was.
This pre-dates the Iconoscope quite a bit.
The interesting thing (Philo Farnsworth, are you still there?) about it is that all imaging tubes use some form of scan beam to generate video from a fixed target. The Image Dissector is backward. The electron image falls off the faceplate and is itself scanned past a small aperture where an electron multiplier lives.
About the only thing these got used for was monitoring the flame inside industrial boilers. The extremely low light sensitivity wasn't an issue there, but lighting up an actor with enough candlepower to get a good picture turned a man into a cinder!

Can't let TV development history be lost forever.

J. Mitch Hopper
Custom Video Systems Co.
Rochester, IL
217-498-8438
id at brainmist.com

When I am reincarnated, I'm coming back with a larger hard drive.