[QuadList] Video Tape Center, NYC, 1968--(Formerly WOR-TV, NBC 67th Street Studios, ABC TV 18/19)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Jun 11 08:25:48 CDT 2014

Hi, Jeff,

On Jun 10, 2014, at 9:29 PM, Jeffrey J Martin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm researching the history of a videotape production that was made at Videotape Center (or was it Video Tape Center?) in New York City in 1968. Is there anyone on the list, or can anyone refer me to someone, who was working there at the time? I can give more details about the research project off-list. Any and all leads are welcome.
>
> Thanks a million,
>
> Jeff Martin
> Chicago, IL

Are you referring to this former NBC facility listed in Wikipedia:

67th Street Studios, 101 West 67th Street (the Home show with Arlene Francis (1954-1957), Concentration (primetime 1958)). NBC sold the property in 1961. Later it became Video Tape Center (1961-1970, independent production company), ABC Studio TV-18/19 (1970 to 1990, production facility for soap opera All My Children, and One Live to Live prior to moving to TV-17). Demolished in 1995. Building originally had four studios, converted to two, later one. The site is now 50-story Millennium Tower apartment building.

According to Bobby Ellerbee's "Eyes of a Generation" Facebook page, the facility was built as WOR-TV's 1949 facility:

Back then stations rented studio space to the big players all the time, like CBS renting studios at Dumont's WABD for a couple of soap operas. WOR/Channel 9's new building was known as "9 Television Square". Shortly after WOR was sold to RKO, the studios moved back to Times Square at 1440 Broadway with WOR radio.

NBC had produced the 'Home' show with Arline Francis from here (101 67th St-TL) starting in 1954 and when WOR moved, NBC took over the building. 'Home' continued here till 1957 and in '58, 'Concentration' prime time editions came from here.

NBC moved out in 1961 and The Video Tape Center moved in.

Here is a point I need to clear up...I had thought that Video Tape Center started in 1961 and their first home was here at 67th Street...nope. No one has a firm date on when VTC went into business, but their first home was actually in the Century Theater. NBC had leased the Century from '54 till '58 and did 'Caesar's Hour' with Sid Caesar (1954–1957) and 'Treasure Hunt' from there. Sometime after '58, Video Tape Center moved in and stayed till the building was torn down in '61, necessitating the move to 67th Street.

Hope this is somehow helpful.  Maybe someone knows someone who worked there in 1968.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Web:	www.quadvideotapegroup.com
FB:		www.facebook.com/QuadVideotapeGroup

First QuadVideotape Group Dinner at SAA, 7pm, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, Washington, DC

Seventh Annual Quad Videotape Group Dinner at AMIA:  7pm, Tuesday, October 7. 2014, Savannah, Georgia
Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB:  12:30pm on Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Las Vegas Convention Center