[QuadList] ***SPAM*** AMPEX VR-5100 WILL IT PLAY OTHER MACHNES TYPE A TAP...

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Fri May 16 09:06:18 CDT 2014

Thee are a couple of issues.

First Type A is what was approved by the SMPTE as the final version of this
 basic format.  The deviation is typically 7 to 10 MHz like high band.
Previous deviations were both a black and white and a color version.  Thus  a
total of three different deviation standards a tape could be recorded  in.
The VR-5100 was a early machine and I think it was black and white  only.

Next the head was a pancake motor if I remember correctly.  Thus the  belt
issue for the head is not there.  But I do not remember how the reel  motors
and capstan worked.

Lastly the moveable guides never held interchange.  Be prepared to  adjust
the guides on almost any old tapes.  Also the top edge guide on  these arms
would get cuts in them that will do edge damage to the tape.  It  is wish
you luck on good interchange.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN

In a message dated 5/16/2014 9:11:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,