[QuadList] AMPEX VR-5100 WILL IT PLAY OTHER MACHNES TYPE ATAPE...

J. Mitch Hopper id at brainmist.com
Fri May 16 10:54:45 CDT 2014

Well, I had considerable experience with the 5100's in the late 60-early 70s. The IL Dept. of Ed was still working loosely with the remnants of MPATI and a program called "Early Bird" where WILL-TV in Urbana, IL transmit in-classroom materials between midnight and 5am. Our office put about 50 VTRs in various schools with timers so the teachers could play back programs during the class day. Failed machines would get local service or be brought back to the Springfield studios for repair. Our problems were almost exclusively head-clogs. The component failure rate was actually very low - and the interchange rate was fairly high. Boy, was that a long time ago. Still have a service manual for it.  And yes, the head was a pancake motor, but the reels were belted.

J. Mitch Hopper
Custom Video Systems Co.
Rochester, IL
217-498-8438
id at brainmist.com

When I am reincarnated, I'm coming back with a larger hard drive.