[QuadList] 1970 3M Industrial Tape Sales Sheet coming soon (was AMPEX VR-5100 WILL IT PLAY OTHER MACHINES TYPE...)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat May 17 15:07:43 CDT 2014

On May 17, 2014, at 10:13 AM, David Crosthwait wrote:

>  Over the years, each tape manufacture made improvements in 1" helical stock (3M the greatest in my opinion).

I scanned last night and will post somewhere this weekend, two  Aug. 1970 3M Sales sheets (M-V-21B and M-V-22A) involving Scotch 360, 361 and 362 video tape for industrial and consumer helical scan video recorders.

These two sheets have cross references to match reels of Scotch 360, 361 and 362 by catalog number, reel size, machine(s) used on, playing time, wind, and price.

The catalog number generally found on the bottom of reels can be helpful in getting an idea of what machines might have recorded the reel.

The machines listed include IVC, Ampex, Sony, Roberts, Panasonic, Diamond Power and more, including EIAJ.

Watch for the link in a future post.

Trivia question:  Can anyone tell what machine a 12.5" reel of Scotch 361-1-7500-VRB was used on?

The tape was sold two reels per carton at $213 per reel in 1970. An empty reel was $17.

Clue:  The same machine would play reels of 361-1-1075-R139B and 361-1-2150-R139B if they were recorded on other machines that used the same format.

These smaller reels were $34.55 and $45.30 per reel in cartons of five.

Have fun!

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

Seventh Annual Quad Videotape Group Dinner at AMIA:  7pm, Tuesday, October 7. 2014, Savannah, Georgia
Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB:  12:30pm on Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Las Vegas Convention Center