[QuadList] IVC Recovery--"Capture" and "Banding"--

Charles Park Seward park at videopark.com
Sun May 18 11:29:19 CDT 2014

Thanks, Ted. Nice summation.

Junaid told me the noise reducer was their first Accom product and he wrote the software.

Accom’s first product to be introduced was the “DIE-422” — a Digital Image Enhancer. This machine was used in the film-to-tape transfer process, electronically removing film dirt and scratches, as well as providing overall image enhancement capabilities.

Just to help understanding, I think I would use the word "contouring" and not banding to describe the bands in a image with 8-bit video, especially when talking about Quad video. . Our video stays 10-bit all the way from the analog input to the digital MOV file.

Quantel developed "Dynamic Rounding" to make 8 bits look as good as 10.

Dynamic Rounding - Dynamic Rounding is a technique devised by Quantel for truncating the word length of pixels – a process you can't avoid when you are processing images. Rather than simply losing the lower bits, Dynamic Rounding uses their information to control, via a randomiser, the dither of the LSB of the truncated result. This effectively removes any artefacts that would otherwise be visible. Dynamic rounding is non-cumulative on any number of passes and produces statistically correct results. Dynamic rounding eliminates any truncation artefacts.

It is also used on images that were created on their boxes, like in a Paintbox image.

We have some Quantel equipment (Editbox, Paintbox, Hal) and Dynamic Rounding really works.

One feature of the D-Bridge is to take in digital D-2 and convert it to digital D-1 (digital composite to digital component), keeping it digital all the way.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747