[QuadList] Ampex Mark 10 head differences

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 11:55:21 CST 2014

There are three types of head pre-amps.

trimmer used with the VR-1100 and 1000.  This has a BLUE label

Transistor Pre-amp for use with the VR-1200 signal system.  This has a  RED
label.

Nuvistor Pre-amp for use with the VR-2000.  This has a GOLD  Label.

The last two are easily identified as the VR-2000 used a cable that went
into the right end of the head.  This cable provided the power etc. to the
pre-amp.  The VR-1200 head has a rectangular insert that is held in place  to
fill that opening.  No cable was used as all power came from the head
connector in the base of the head.  All of the modules can be interchanged  by
unscrewing it and replacing it with the appropriate module.  But this  really
never happened in the field.

There are part numbers that can be used to identify each head, 10 mil, 5
mil, pre-amp module, ball or air bearing, etc.  I just don't have that
information at hand right now.  Maybe I can find it.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN

In a message dated 11/20/2014 10:36:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,