Danny Kaye Show

Rob jeffwld at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 11 16:25:18 CDT 2014

> From: quadlist-request at quadvideotapegroup.com
> Subject: QuadList Digest, Vol 76, Issue 9
> To: quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com
> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 09:59:09 -0500

I can confirm that the source material was from 2" as opposed to kinescope. The set contains 3 monochrome shows and 3 color shows. Danny Kaye owned the show and was diligent in preserving the original elements, keeping it from network bulk erasers. The estate has a complete set on 2", and a duplicate set is on deposit at the Library of Congress.

At this point, I can't confirm whether this was deliberate or simply the work of incompetence. I've found a few other releases of quad elements suffering the same fate. Most notable was when Shout Factory assumed responsibility for continuing the release of "All In The Family" after Sony abandoned it. Shout's eighth season release was a videotaped production encoded to jittery unnatural film-look. When barraged with complaints, Shout initially couldn't see anything wrong (demonstrating the ever-growing generation of people who have no clue as to the difference between tape and film), but ultimately were shown the light. They subsequently re-encoded the entire project correctly for re-release.

I'm suspecting that some of it has to do with today's video game generation entering the industry as they have been known to coin the phrase "soap opera effect" (said with contempt) to live or videotaped productions. The ability to destroy the original live look is now just a drop down menu away in today's digital world. Some of this must stem from watching taped SD content on a 60" LCD monitor where everything other than HD content looks like a third-generation VHS dub.

Rob Sinclair