Boeing Video

John Turner jjturner at turnereng.com
Fri Oct 3 08:29:58 CDT 2014

Yes, that's me.

We had a little Ampex edit room set up in our Boonton plant with VPR-6,
ACE25 and an ADO 2K to do demos.

Paul Havis was a Continental left seat ATP with lots of seniority and spare
time. He lived near here and started coming by and learning some of the gear
we had sitting around. I think the flying video series idea came from his
wife to keep him busy.

We lent him an HL-95 and a VPR-20 to shoot the 747 footage. Later on, he got
permission to do a cross-Atlantic shoot of a British Concorde so we set up
the cockpit with about eight Toshiba lipstick cameras and iso'd each onto a
mix of BVU-150's and VO -6800. I still can't believe BA let us do that.

There were around 10 or so of those tapes. As long as you were FAA
credentialed in some manner, crew access to commercial aircraft could be
arranged. I have a commercial / instrument FAA certificate so I got to go on
some of those trips.

Those were fun times. No money was involved on our end. What Paul did for me
was to get me into a few of his mandatory 6-month currency training sessions
where I got around 8 hours of 747 left seat sim training. There is a big
unmarked warehouse down the road owned by Simuflite that has two 737 and one
747 complete front sections indoors mounted on really big hydraulics. I have
an FAA examiner signature in my logbook that verifies a couple of successful
747 instrument landings at EWR. Looks crazy next to all the Mooney 201
entries.

We could never get permission to do any of that stuff today.

John Turner

Principal Engineer

Turner Engineering, Inc.

14 Morris Avenue