[QuadList] Capstan questions

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 12:51:38 CDT 2014

Back in the days before I knew anything about Quad (1968) the VR-7800 had the only useable Assemble mode.

The practice of recording black and using only insert edits, was based on the fact that all of the Quads switched from control track playback to a reference oscillator at the point of the assemble edit. The VR-3000 always made good assemble, backspace edits.
The VR-7800 (pre-A, 1" helical scan) had a multi-tooth capstan tach (16) and a circuit to select the closest tach tooth to control track and use that as the reference for the record portion of an assemble edit, thus eliminating the assemble edit problem. I think this was Barry Guislinger's great idea!
When I explained this to good quad engineers, they were both pleased and suprised!

Bye for now, love to all, Bill & Gewyn & Ginger (whoof...whoof)