[QuadList] Capstan Information

Don Norwood quadlist at digitrakcom.com
Wed Sep 24 23:35:30 CDT 2014

Hi John:

I don't know.  I have a 3000 that turns out tapes that play just fine on
1200's which as you know, have exactly the same servo as the 2000.  In fact,
the 3000 tapes also play OK on an RCA TR-70.

>From your description, I'd have to guess that something was wrong in the
3000.  A lack of frame pulses on the control track could do that, but I'm
not sure what else might trigger it.  The 3000 recordings should definitely
be on-speed if the servo is setup correctly.  Playback on the 3000 is
another issue however.  It's good enough to verify the recording, but in
playback the drum is referenced to an internal oscillator so it may not
playback exactly on-speed.

The 3000 transport is an interesting design for that era of quad recorders
in that the capstan is more of a "governor" than a driving element.  Most of
the tape motion is driven by the reel servo system, with the capstan only
providing slight braking or drive as needed to maintain the correct speed as
determined by it's tach frequency.  The design helped to prolong battery
life by not wasting current on a capstan drive, thus keeping the transport
power consumption essentially to only the amount required to move the tape.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com