[QuadList] Capstan Information

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 11:14:31 CDT 2014

Everyone is correct so far.  The VR-3000 was making tapes that were  not to
standards.  We had a local facility that did industrial videos and  used a
VR-3000 as a record device.  They had the AVR-1 as a playback.   It always
worked.

So what is standard for the control track?  I would have to go get a  book
and study it a bunch.  But here is what we did to compensate for all  the
little variances in manufacture of a video head to control track head  spacing.

When doing an Intersync alignment, we would use the alignment tape as a
playback for centering the tracking control.  There were four (?) pots that
would set it for each position of the head selector.  This meant that the
machine would play any tape recorded to standard with the tracking knob at 12
o'clock.

Next would be to record on blank stock using the procedure to put the frame
 pulse at the top of the control track 240 Hz sine wave.  When playing this
 recording back, if the tracking know had to be moved from the 12 o'clock
position, then the recoding was not to the same standard as the alignment
tape.  I would then move the frame pulse a bit left or right and then try
again until the tracking knob on playback was straight up.

This procedure compensated for the minute tolerances in  manufacturing.
There is an adjustment on the Mark X heads to move the  control track head but
we never considered doing this as it was a chance to do  more damage and a
big waste of money.

Our goal was to create tapes that were as close as possible to  perfect.
We strived to get recordings and playbacks to the highest quality  possible.
It was easy once the mind set was created and procedures were  followed.
Peoples jobs actually became easier and they were able to  concentrate on the
creative end and not worry about the technical end.   Thus we got a
reputation as a quality house.

Hope this helps with the thought process.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN

In a message dated 9/24/2014 11:53:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,