Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB 2015--Recap with Pictures!-Upcoming events--

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Apr 30 06:21:30 CDT 2015

Good morning on this last Thursday in April, 2015.,

Hope all the QuadList's NAB 2015 attendees have recovered!

Here are a few pictures from the Quad Videotape Group annual Lunch at NAB:

Beginning with pictures of early 1970s  Quad installations at
 KHOF-TV, 30, San Bernardino, California's transmitter site
on Sunset Ridge above Claremont, California.

fbn.faithbroadcastingnetwork.info/khof_tv_photos01.html
as shared by QuadList Member Joe Snelson, Jr. (then KHOF-TV Maintenance Engineer, now
VP of Engineering, Meridth Local Media Group)

The Ampex VR-1000 was sold to Faith Center by RCA, which had taken the unit in trade from KOA-TV, Denver, Colorado.  Inside the head cover was a note which said "Good Luck!"

Several Visual/Allen VA-50 Quad VTRs were added to the station's tech roster.
http://www.quadvideotapegroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/VisualElectronicsVA-50QuadAtKHOF-TV-San-Bernardino-BruceBraunCollection.jpg

Joe had some comments about them, which I now wish I'd recorded.  I'll have to ask for a refeed.

(Maybe next year we need to arrange for a big HDMI-capable TV set at wherever we meet??  Bring a thumb drive, iPad or laptop and narrate a presentation!)

A robust round-the-table discussion of a variety of things-Quad ensued...

Here's Joe with (L-R)
Ian Mackenzie from Frenchs Forest, New South Wales, Australia,
Park Seward, VideoPark, near Grants Pass, Oregon...

Ian, fully visible

And around the rest of the table:

Mitch Hopper, Custom Video Systems, Rochester, Illinois,
Tim Stoffell, Ass't. Chief Engineer, KNPB, 5, Reno, Nevada and Quadruplex Park
(Ted's memory failed on the gentleman who has IVC-9000 experience between Tim and)
Mike Boland, founder, Boland Communications, Lake Forest, California

Standing: Shai Drori, Timeless Recordings, Modin, Israel/Chandler, Arizona

Seated:
Randy Hall, K7AGE, Producer, Vintage Videos, (recently retired Grass Valley Group Engineer) Grass Valley, California
Tom Sprague, National Boston, Co-founder, Museum of Broadcast Television, Woonsocket, Rhode Island,

Tom on the left with (L-R)

John Turner, Pres. Turner Engineering, Inc., Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
Ted Langdell, flashscan8.us/Zin VTR Works, Secretary, Quad Videotape Group. Marysville, California
and Joe again...

Absent when these pictures were taken is Lou Claude, The Broadcast Store, Chatsworth, California.

If you want to see the VTR that stopped traffic at NAB... (at least in our part of Lower South Hall), click on this link: Traffic-Stopping VTR

Looking ahead:

Mark your calendars NOW for the

Ninth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB (2016):
12:30pm on Tuesday, April 19, 2016, Las Vegas Convention Center

NAB 2016 Free Exhibit Pass Code:

NABShow 2016 Free Exhibits Pass Codes are already available:
flashscan8.us/MWA/Zin! VTR Works Guest Pass Code: LV3654

Active use will be available in the fall, when NAB 2016 registration is opened. I'll advise when that happens.

Any Cleveland, Ohio/Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania region QuadList members might want to note

The Second Annual Quad Videotape Group Dinner at SAA (Society of American Archivists)
7pm, Tuesday, August 18, 2015, near the Cleveland Convention Center

Portland area QuadList members may want to note:

The Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Dinner at AMIA
(Association of Moving Image Archivists)
7pm, Tuesday, November 18, 2015

Details about the Cleveland and Portland dinners as the events get closer.  (But farther in advance than our NAB location this year!)

Cheers and good morning!

Quad Videotape Group
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com