[QuadList] Question from George Miller

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Fri Dec 11 17:07:58 CST 2015

If you google "Video Noise Reduction Plugins", you will find some options. Video noise reduction has advanced from stand-alone broadcast quality boxes to almost exclusivelly software fixes. We have several options for each here. However, you must be aware of several things:

Noise reduction improvements are mostly a subjective science.
Some luminance and chrominance noise reduction improvements can be seen on the scope.
Some programs will have trade-offs. The heavier the noise reduction setting, the more objectionable the undesirable side affects will be i.e. motion smearing and ghosting.
The more horsepower the computer has, the faster the rendering. But an entire program of sixty minutes can take all night to render on even the fastest box.

Median video noise reduction can do miracles on herringbone, static and other issues. And every program or standalone box has different ways of doing things. It just depends on how much time and money you have to experiment.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Preservation Level Videotape Transfers and More!

Offices located at:
3071 North Lima St.
Burbank, CA. 91504
818-563-1073