[QuadList] What Does E-E mean?

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 5 19:00:45 CST 2015

			On Jan 5, 2015, at 5:46 PM, John M wrote:

> The RF dub scenario would also multiply any timebase and head errors (geometric, especially in the old days) I imagine as well. thus negating anything to be gained by using a TB corrected comp video connection.

			I write:

	Many many years ago, I did a study for Reeves/Teletape concerning all of the advantages and disadvantages of RF dubbing.  My results showed that timing errors were not multiplied; they merely increased in frequency (the errors were not larger, they were more numerous).  This meant that the errors would still be manageable and perfectly playable by any properly operating AMPEX or RCA HB quad VTR known.  The biggest problem with RF dubbing was not timing errors, but was instead noise.  A direct connection between two VTR’s would produce a recording with twice the RF noise versus what would occur when processing the video normally.  Obviously, this happens because the noise in the original recording is being copied to the new recording and upon playback of the dub, the dub’s own noise is included.  There are ways of limiting the source VTR’s RF noise, but additional processing of the RF would negate the original reason for using RF duplication in the first place.  This plus the added separate infrastructure that would be needed to enable large-scale RF duplication (RF-capable distribution amplifiers, etc.) meant that the idea was doomed, so it was abandoned.

					    NBC Today Show, New York