[QuadList] 2" QUAD & DOLBY A QUERY

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Mon Jun 29 10:58:57 CDT 2015

I wasn't in the engineering department while operating a bank of Ampex AVR-3s -- so things either functioned or they did not.  Up to that point I had only ever worked in mono, but those machines had stereo heads, which we mostly implemented to ping-pong tracks for later mix-down.  Using an RA-4000, editing dialogue was sometimes like trying to hit free-throws form center-court.  Never really did stereo audio work during that time, other than pulling in mag/optical tracks from feature films that were being telecined for duplication to VHS distribution.  *That's* when the azimuth issues started to manifest, and also when the company started taking C-format more seriously, instead of the giant 90-minute reels feeding tape through at 7.15 ips. Yep, half speed, longitudinal audio, and changing out heads, re-optimizing everything including erase delay, every time, with "the BIG screwdriver."

On 2015-06-26, at 12:42 PM, Steve Greene via QuadList wrote:

> Not sure if the Ampex beasts had azimuth adjustment.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
8412 118 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 1T3