Museum of Broadcast Technology

Mitch Hopper id at brainmist.com
Tue May 26 09:07:24 CDT 2015

An open letter to Tom Sprague - Museum of Broadcast Technology.

Spectacular and overwhelming are the words that describe it.  I met machines
both from my recent and my dark, distant past.  TR-5, 22, 60, 70, Phillips
PC-70, TK-42 - not to mention all the terminal, production, and peripheral
gear that populated my 40+ year career.  I was mostly an RCA guy.  It was
fun to hear the 440 spin-up whine as we played a tape on a TR-70A... with
CAVEC!  The pictures were as good now as any I ever managed.

Where? Well, it started with some comments on the QuadUsersGroup and
finalized with meeting Tom Sprague at this year's NAB.  He invited me to
visit the Museum of Broadcast Technology and I gratefully accepted.  So,
last week, after attending the Dayton Hamvention in Ohio, My wife Ruth and I
drove out to the quaint town of Woonsocket, Rhode Island and entered an
unassuming bank building - and my personal past.

Many thanks Tom for a lengthy and wonderful personal tour of my professional
life as well as letting me see some real, genuine curiosities - like a
portable quad that records two simultaneous video channels.  Believe me,
there were lots, lots more.

I can only hope that the museum thrives in the future and eventually opens
to the public.  It is beyond my scope to see how he and his group manage
such a tremendously time consuming and worthwhile endeavor.

Tom - many thanks.  I haven't enjoyed a road trip as much in a long, long
time.

J. Mitch Hopper - K9ZXO

Custom Video Systems Co.

Rochester, IL