A post

Rosanne McDowell rmcdowell44 at sc.rr.com
Sat Apr 23 13:43:00 CDT 2016

I have a 2" quad videotape dating back to 1974/1975 that contains a couple
nights of my weather reports at WCSC-TV in Charleston plus a :30 station
promo on yours truly and  a station ID on same. It also has one of the
interviews I did as a freelance co-host with Jim Welch on SCETV's 8:30
Newsroom. I've been meaning to have this tape digitized for years. I'm now
trying to find a suitable place to get the job done. A producer friend of
mine at ETV recommends that I try Quad Tape Transfer in TN, but he has never
used this company himself. (ETV's ancient quad equipment is not reliable, he
says, so no hope there.) Before I call this place in TN, I wanted to ask if
anyone in this group has tried Quad Tape Transfer or if you know another
good place to try.

HERE'S THE BACK STORY: I was writing a piece to honor Lorraine "Happy Raine"
Evans, who just turned 80. From 1960 to 1980, Rainey hosted a popular live
TV show for kids at WCSC. To get some needed info, I had to call WCSC news
anchor Bill Sharpe, who was a young anchor when I worked at the station,
because he is the only person left there who knew Rainey when she worked at
WCSC in those days. (Both she and Bill were there when I was there.) While
we were talking, Bill mentioned that all of WCSC's archives were wiped out
in Hurricane Hugo. Knowing about my quad video, he asked if I'd be willing
to let him pay to have it digitized because he has nothing from his early
days at WCSC. (He is briefly on my tape-in the intros to my weather reports,
I think.) I told him I wouldn't think of letting him pay for it because I've
been meaning to get the tape digitized forever but that I would get him a
copy made after the work is finished.

Any ideas for me on this quest? Thanks!