[QuadList] Ampex Sign--Ampex has moved to Hayward--Ampex OldTimers Gather Sept. 10--

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Aug 18 13:56:52 CDT 2016

The Ampex sign is on the border of two pieces of property, one that now houses a Stanford Univ. medical facility, and the other a building that until just recently housed Ampex Data Systems, the successor to Ampex Corp.

Ampex has moved across the southern San Francisco Bay to Hayward, holding a ribbon cutting and grand opening the Friday of NAB week… which was the 60th Anniversary of the unveiling of the Ampex Mark V prototype Quad VTR at NARTB in 1956.

Details and several pictures here:
http://www.hayward-ca.gov/discover/news/may16/ampex-data-systems-corporation-relocates-hayward

The move consolidates Ampex’s operations.  Several were already in Hayward.

We were asked to help with vetting some information for documents used in conjunction with the ribbon cutting.

Members of the Quad Videotape Group have been assisting with the annual Ampex OldTimers Barbecue, which enables Ampexers from its days as a major player in Audio, Video, Instrumentation and Data recording to mingle.

At last year’s Barbecue, John Leslie (L) 1948-1962, Tracy Wood, (1965-2015) and Fred Pfost, (1952-1962) helped Wood celebrate being the longest-serving Ampex/Ampex Data Systems employee.

Leslie moved from engineering to a vice presidency within Ampex, eventually handling the tape manufacturing division, among others. Leslie co-authored a detailed history of the company’s early years, including the development of what became the first commercially successful video recorder:
http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/company.histories/ampex/leslie_snyder_early-days-of-ampex.pdf

Wood has served Ampex in engineering and business development positions.

Pfost is the surviving engineer of the team of six that jointly developed the Ampex VTR and for many years organized (with wife JoAnn) the annual Ampex OldTimers Barbecue, which has roots in a Friday lunch group that began in 1957.

Pfost designed and implemented the successful four-head assembly used in the early machines, and a splicer for the 2” videotape. After leaving Ampex, Pfost served various other companies directly or through his successful consulting business.   Read more about his time at Ampex here:
http://ethw.org/First-Hand:My_Ten_Years_at_Ampex_and_the_Development_of_the_Video_Recorder

This year’s event is Saturday, Sept. 10 from Noon to 6pm.

If you’re an Ampexer, or know someone who is, please have them contact me at tedlangdell at ampexoldtimers.org for details about the event.

Cheers,

Quad Videotape Group
iPhone: 	(530) 301-2931