[QuadList] those archives contain recordings of virtually allof MTV's de...

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 8 13:17:35 CDT 2016

		On Aug 7, 2016, at 6:31 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

> I took some film down to KTVU, channel 2, and Oakland from Sacramento and when I arrived at the reception desk, one of the things that the receptionist was doing was logging commercials. Using AN EIAJ deck.
> If I recall correctly the playback at normal speed on the deck he was using was of the tape that had been recorded at a slower speed on a specialized Derek in order to pack more airtime on a one-hour reel of  of tape.

		I add:

	When I first worked at NBC-NY in 1978, one of my overnight engineering duties was to change the on-air logging recorders’ tapes.  These were two EIAJ decks that ran VERY slowly, and each recorded 24 hours of programming on a single (normally 1-hour) tape with time & date burned in.  The recordings were B/W and looked a lot like surveillance video with the burned in time & date.  They were to be changed at 2am or so in order to not miss any vital commercial verifications.  In those days, WNBC signed off after the Tomorrow Show and maybe a 5-minute voice-over news headline report.  The Network was of course dark at that time.  The two decks recorded local WNBC-TV and the outgoing network feed, respectively.

					    NBC Today Show, New York