Possible Videotape Rescue Project

Steve White steve at 800callnow.com
Sat Dec 31 10:15:44 CST 2016

Greetings, and my very best wishes to everyone for a terrific New Year!

I have a lead on dozens of reels of recorded videotape that has been in
storage for a couple of decades. Some were recorded in the 70s.  Some in
the 80s. I understand that the reels are stored individually in their
original cardboard boxes.  They may have been in several locations
during their history.  I don't know much about conditions in their
current location, other than they are in the basement of a relatively
modern building.

The goal is to rescue program material deemed worthy (whatever that is
determined to be) from those tapes that have survived.  I have two
rather open-ended questions:

    - When I start opening boxes, what conditions and characteristics
    should I be looking for? I will not have the ability to load them
    onto a machine (nor would I feel competent to do so), but, merely to
    inspect them visually.

    - What steps, if any, should I take to stop any further
    deterioration until we can sort through them and get them to an
    expert later this year?  For example, should they all be opened and
    left out in what is probably a dryer location? Should they be
    re-packed into individual plastic bags?  etc.

And now, for the rest of the story:  the tapes are 1" and were recorded
on IVC-860 machines.  The tape is likely a mix from several manufacturers.

Thanks,
Steve