60th anniversary of Quad video tape: Help get a VR-1000B to NAB

Ted Langdell Ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Feb 25 14:15:45 CST 2016

This April marks the 60th anniversary of the introduction of the first successful video tape recorder at the National Association of Radio and Television Broadcasters in Chicago, Illinois.

The machine created quite a stir and ushered in a whole raft of technological changes for television production and viewership.

Because of the work of dedicated engineers, here's a chance you'll be able to see and touch a working Ampex VR-1000B at NAB... IF enough funding can be raised to make the trip from Rhode Island.

Founders at the Museum of Broadcast Technology in Woonsocket, Rhode Island (some of whom are also on the QuadList and attend our annual luncheon at 12:30 on Tuesday at NAB ) have restored a tube type Ampex VR-1000B and added some color features.

I've seen this machine waiting for work during visits to the museum, and am pleased that it's now working.

Quad Video Tape Group member James O'Neal has an article in Television Technology about what it will take to get this machine to Las Vegas.

Can you help raise funds? It's a tax-deductible donation. Read more here:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/opinions/0004/museum-seeks-aid-in-getting-vintage-vtr-to-nab-show/278008

If you are able to make a donation please do, and let them know how you heard about it.

Between this group, the OldVTRs list, SMPTE, SBE, and maybe Ampex Old Timers, (or perhaps Ampex Data Systems, the successor to Ampex Corporation) this could be done.

It would only take 1000 people donating 25 bucks apiece to make it happen.

I hope folks from the Quad Videotape Group can help.

Secretary, Quad Videotape Group
Ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
(530)301-2931

Dictated into and Sent from my iPhone, which is solely responsible for any weird stuff I didn't catch.