[QuadList] 60th anniversary of Quad video tape: Help get a VR-1000B to NAB

Don Norwood quadlist at digitrakcom.com
Mon Feb 29 19:41:06 CST 2016

Hi Ted:

Tom mentions the upgrade of the VR-1000 series that was offered by Ampex.  There were a number of variations of these kits.  A major difference between the Ampex VR series and the RCA TR series was the use of self-contained subsystems by Ampex.  The original RCA TRT machines were also built in a similar fashion, but with the TR series, all functions of the machine were integrated into a frame with common power supplies and modules that were not functional as stand-alone devices.  The Ampex design was built on a “modular” approach where entire subsystems (signal, servo, processing, etc) could be changed in the machine.  So it was possible to upgrade a VR-1000 in stages if desired.  Depending on how the VR-1000 was equipped, including previous upgrades such as Amtec or a solid state proc amp for instance, the machine could be upgraded further by choosing the appropriate kits to either replace older circuits or add new functionality.

In 1972, major kits and prices included:

Signal System  $15,500
Solid State Intersync Servo   $7,500
Air Bearing Kits   $750 – $1,200
Solid State Proc Amp   $4,880
Colortec   $11,250

Any of these mods as well as others, even including audio, could be done individually or as a group.  So the upgrade path was very flexible and kept many of the machines in service well past the time when they would otherwise have been obsolete.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com