Quad Fault: Remind Me...

Steve Burgess saburgess at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 11 08:54:11 CST 2016

Viewers in the UK last night (10 March) were able to watch a repeat of a
1981 edition of Top of the Pops featuring UB40, Adam and the Ants and a
fondly-remembered dance group called Legs and Co wearing, well, very little
at all, really.  (Now I remember why I enjoyed working on this show!)

Worryingly, during the first 30 seconds or so of the girls' routine my
attention was grabbed by white dots with small tails in a regular
diamond-shaped array which I recall being a characteristic of a Quad
recording with problems - a tape scratch?  Some lovely EMI 2001 pictures,
once again.

BBC TV Centre was mixed Quad and C-Format in those days and I think it was
pot-luck which was used for studio play-in and recording.  Also spotted, an
HL79D in prominent deployment for close-ups of keyboards and drums.  Noticed
lifted blacks on a standards-converted US pop video; that darned NTSC
pedestal again (but those lifted blacks are great for checking noise
performance).

Steve

---