VR1000 Intersync

joe at snelson.tv joe at snelson.tv
Wed Mar 16 15:11:20 CDT 2016

Cool photo! Indeed it does bring back memories. Ok, a short story here
about the LACC VR-1001.

I was green and just starting my career. The 1001 we had at LACC was in
fair shape. It was my first quad to work on and I messed around with it
and got it tweeked up. We did a class project that was quality enough
that the instructor wanted to record it on quad for possible airing on a
local station. He also wanted to do a preview to a group of outsiders. I
came in early the night of the preview to get the machine warmed up and
ready (remember, it was mostly vacuum tubes). I loaded the tape, pressed
play, but the cotton pickin servo would not lock worth a flip. Out came
the Tektronix 450 scope (at least I think that was the flavor at the
time). After probing around, I discovered the lamp in the headwheel that
generates the tach pulse using a photocell had burned out. Of course,
the servo would not lock without it. We had no spare lamps! It would
work if I stood there with a flashlight shining into the hole where the
lamp was at, but I was not going to stand there trying to hold a light
steady for an hour trying to play the tape.

Epilogue: we showed the half-inch Sony Type A format copy to the group
that night. We ordered some new lamps and had the 1001 back up and
running. BTW, I have an old Mark 3 head on the trophy shelf in my
office, but haven’t checked the lamp lately. :)

I also have a can of AMPEX Edivue (Part No. 51705-06) on my shelf that
still has some diluent in it!

Joe Snelson, CPBE, 8-VSB

Today's Topics:

 1. VR1000 Intersync (David Crosthwait)