CMX 600 stories

John Buck velocite at gmail.com
Thu May 26 03:23:39 CDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I've pasted below an excerpt from an update to my Timeline Analog 2
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/timeline-analog-2/id814212831?mt=11>book.
It covers the field testing of the CMX-600 by engineer Jim Adams.
As many know, Jim went on to start Mach One, sold that to Bosch and then
designed the EMME for EECO.

If you have Timeline Analog 2 already - it's free update.
Enjoy the memoriesJim Adams recalls:

        CBS installed a complete CMX System/600 in a trailer on the
Republic Studio Lot.  Jim Adams recalls:

*This system was managed by Al Malang and he was committed to the 600 and
requested quite a few changes to the operating software.  This entailed me
shuttling back and forth between Sunnyvale and Hollywood frequently.
Pacific Southwest Airways (PSA) flew from San Jose to Hollywood-Burbank
several times a day for less than $17 each way.  *

*    One could purchase a booklet of tickets, and if you were at the gate
before the plane left, you would get onboard.  I often stayed overnight to
get in two days of work at CBS.*

*    A 200 was located in the basement at CBS's main office in Hollywood
where they had a large number of VTRs for the recording of network
programming for the west coast delayed broadcast.  Three of these machines
were allocated for the 200 to be used after the last programs were aired.
This required me to work on the 200 very late at night when software
changes were necessary.*

*    The union operators of the VTRs were not pleased with the necessary
cabling between 'their' machines and the 200, and the control cables and
video coax would mysteriously disappear nightly.  We actually had cots
placed in the basement such that we could sleep there to 'guard' the
cables.*

--
John Buck