[QuadList] Possible Videotape Rescue Project

Don Norwood quadlist at digitrakcom.com
Mon Jan 2 17:36:36 CST 2017

Dave:

As far as I know, there's nothing magic about an IVC-860.  I believe any IVC
1" machine will play the tapes.  We regularly transfer IVC tapes from 800
series machines.  Their internal heterodyne color boards are not very good,
so instead we use direct recovery with external TBC's and DOC's and the
results can be very nice, IF the recordings were properly made to begin
with.  Just as with Ampex Type-A, there were a lot of these machines used in
non-professional environments where the users were not knowledgeable about
the care and operation of the machines, and the results were less than
optimum.  But we've also seen some very good recordings that were made in
professional studios.   So you never know exactly what to expect when the
early 1" formats come in for transfer!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com