VR-8000

Don Norwood quadlist at digitrakcom.com
Tue Jan 3 10:07:05 CST 2017

Hi Chris:

I have pictures of the VR-8000 that I took at the Ampex Museum prior to its closing.  Years ago I sent copies to Tim Stoffel who has them on his site, but I will try to locate the originals and rescan them so I can post higher resolution copies.  There was also an informational sign on the machine which I believe I have a pic of as well, along with a close-up of the head assembly.  The scanner was quite a sight to behold!  It would be great to see a brochure for the machine!

The structural form-factor of the VR-8000 became the design used for all of the VR series studio machines that followed.  Incidentally, the audio section of the 8000 was a tube design, and the first publicity pictures of the VR-1100 had the same audio chassis.  However, as far as I know, the production versions of the 1100 all had the new solid state audio which was later used in the VR-2000/1200/1200B.

As to your model numbers question, I’d say there was some logic involved with the 2000 being a major leap forward while the 1200 was an improvement over the 1100 but less than a 2000.  And don’t forget the VR-3000, again a major development although in a different manner.  I have no theory about the 660/1500 series numbers!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com