[QuadList] OT: Grass Valley VPE-131 editor--documentation? Manuals?

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 28 15:39:43 CDT 2017

		On Oct 28, 2017, at 3:23 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

Does anyone on the list have any experience with or documentation for the Grass Valley VPE-131 editor?
I am suddenly having to make a Grass Valley VPE-131 keyboard appear functional in a production I'm supplying equipment for. The desire is to have one or more BVU 800s respond to jog/shuttle movements.
I have the VPE-131 edit controller chassis, and it lights up, but we are lacking any manuals for this specific unit.
The Super Edit software documentation I have from a different source does make reference to an installation planning guide or document along with a number of other individual publications.
Looks like we're also having to locate a nine pin VGA to 15 pin high density VGA adapter for the monitor connection.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether documentation we could scan and return or links to already available PDFs.

		I vainly offer:

	I used to operate this old beast (actually, operated the 151, which was more capable).  But actual engineering, installation and repair of it is something I never did, so I’m of no help there.
	I can tell you that BVU-800’s were very poor performers when used in a VPE-131/141/151 system.  They had great difficulty synchronizing during lockup and often aborted before the edit in-point.  Much of this was due to the nature of U-Matic's address head alignment.  Since the address track carried the timecode, and this track was a great distance away from all the other linear tracks, tape interchange was a BIG problem.
	If all you need is jog/shuttle, this shouldn’t be much of an issue, though.