[QuadList] Introductions/RCA Guys-Arch Luther

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Aug 6 23:32:33 CDT 2008

Hi, Pat,

You probably remember Arch Luther?  Started with RCA designing
circuits in the early 50's... had a hand in the TK-40 and 41, TSG-1
and then went on to supervise the TR-22 and TR-70 development, among
other things.

He's been retired from RCA for a while... and is currently living in
Jenner, along the Russian River north of San Francisco. He's just
turned 80... and is active in woodworking with redwood trees he has
on his property.

He's authored a number of video engineering related books, into the
late 90's and is currently writing his memoirs... with a couple of
chapters about his years at RCA.

He thinks the website is a good start, and may contribute some
material.  I hope he'll have time to subscribe to the list and jump
in from time to time.

Here's more: http://www.archluther.com/index.asp

Ted.

On Aug 6, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Pat Shevlin wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Good to hear that there are still some of us RCA guys alive out here.
>
> I was one of the RCA design Engineers out of Camden New Jersey that
> worked on the modulator and demodulator of the RCA TR70B.  My
> career started in the early to mid 60’s.  I also work for Ray Dolby
> as an intern Engineer at Ampex when I was attending MIT.  I had a
> lot of good mentors in this business the last 40+ years
>
> I currently have (2) TR-600s, (2) AVR-2, (2) VR2000 machine.
>
> All the best,
>
> Pat Shevlin

209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

flashscan8.us gentle, realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems
and other products from the creative engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.