[QuadList] Quad Libraries

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Dec 28 18:15:47 CST 2008

Hi, Don,

There's a lot of Quad material that was donated by stations to archives.

The U of Georgia at Athens Library has quite a bit of Quad from
Atlanta area stations, and from early Peabody award entries that were
submitted on Quad... because that was the only videotape at the time.

LoC has tons.

That kind of stuff is what needs to be migrated.

I may be able to get AMIA (Association of Moving Image Archives) to
run a survey.  Will advise.

Ted

On Dec 28, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Don Norwood wrote:

> The December issue of Broadcast Engineering has an article on page
> 90 about archiving.  In the article, it refers to "enormous
> libraries of quad videotape will be unplayable in a few years" (due
> to lack of operating equipment).
>
> Does anyone have any reliable info regarding how much quad material
> is still out there?  My impression has been that most broadcast
> stations have  already disposed of their quad tape.  I wouldn't
> think there was much 1" left either.
>
> If no data has been compiled, perhaps a publication such as BE could
> run a survey to help determine how much material is still on the
> shelves and what demand really exists for its archival.
>
> Don

Ted Langdell
flashscan8.us
209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

flashscan8.us home of gentle, faster than realtime flashscan HD,
realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems and other products from the creative
engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974