[Quadlist] [oldvtrs] Restoration of Oldest color videotape, three others to be shown...

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Sat Jul 26 11:52:38 CDT 2008

The WRC-TV tape was interesting.

Imagine if you were the engineer responsible for the picture quality
of the main camera that was to photograph not only General Sarnoff,
your big boss, but also the President of the United States at a very
important function that wold be seen for the next 50 years and beyond.

That main TK-41 had an excellent picture. I bet each tube was tested
for performance and the IO tubes were hand selected and mated with
hand selected yokes. It was probably the best camera of the day.

The other color camera was not as good, with corner registration off.
They had only two color cameras for this show.

The tape had some herringbone patterns that were very obvious. Caused
by, as Tim Stoffel says, "The FM frequencies originally chosen for
quadruplex were 4.28 MHz for sync tip, 5 MHz for blanking, and 6.8 MHz
for peak white. This combination gave excellent black and white
pictures. But when color started to be popular, this combination
caused a strong beat between the color subcarrier and the FM carrier"

I assume that is what I was seeing.

Now the Kitchen debate tape did not have that problem. The camera
didn't look nearly as good but the tape was much better.

As David Crostwait says, different frequencies  and pre-emphasis were
being tried and the images were going to be improved.

The Jack Benny tape was great in B&W. A well set-up TK-30 and a good
Ampex quad could create some outstanding images. You really needed
real engineers back then. Camera matching then was a science and a
black art!

Good show. Thanks to the UCLA Archives.

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747