[Quadlist] Tape cleaning solutions

Steve Greene steve.greene at nara.gov
Tue Jul 29 10:00:15 CDT 2008

Hello,
I am the audiovisual archivist at the Nixon Presidential Library.  The
Nixon Library has over 4,000 quad recordings scattered over several
collections.  My colleagues at several Presidential Libraries have
several thousand more recordings.

My question is:  how do folks clean their quad tapes before
transferring?  Several years ago, when I was transferring in-house, we
used a Recortec, which always made me a bit nervous.  What solutions are
out there for cleaning at slower speeds and without the use of abrasive
blades or grids?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Greene
Archivist