[QuadList] Quad engineer Ken Zin helps recover Moon orbiter tapes

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Nov 20 10:38:01 CST 2008

Ken Zin's name comes up from time to time.

I had a lengthy chat with him last month in connection with Merlin
Engineering Works.

He lives in Paradise, CA, about 30 miles north-east of me, and about
15 miles east of Chico.

At that time, Ken was commuting to San Jose and the NASA Ames site at
Moffett Field.  Well, actually, a closed McDonalds restaurant on the
property.

Click here
http://www.moonviews.com/archives/2008/11/
image_collection_from_a_garage.html

to find out what he was doing to help recover high resolution photos
from the 1966 Lunar Orbiter tapes... recorded on Ampex FR-900 analog
recorders.

If anyone on the list knows more about the FR-900—which looks like it
uses transverse scanning—Dennis Wingo of the project is looking for
more information.

I have contact info and can pass yours on.

flashscan8.us
209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

flashscan8.us gentle, realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems
and other products from the creative engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.