[QuadList] Allen McConnell retires from Library of Congress

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Oct 8 09:31:17 CDT 2008

Quadlist member Allan McConnell retired Sept. 27 from the Motion
Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division of the Library of
Congress.

He was the head of the Audio and Video Preservation Lab in both
Washington, DC and at the new Culpeper, VA facility where the
Library's AV collection is still being assembled.

You can hear Allan (and other LoC preservationists) talk about the
LoC's new National Audio Visual Conservation Center in this NPR story:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13903577

Allan was at CBS, Washington during the ACR-225 era.  After the Ampex
1021 Intersync Alignment was posted to Quadvideotapegroup.com, Allan
recalled "spending many hours on my knees in front of the intersync
with that alignment sheet on the floor.   Wow!  Those were fun days."

We hope he enjoys his retirement.

While his LoC e-mail address has been discontinued, we hope that
Allan will continue his association with the Quad Videotape Group
from another address.

flashscan8.us
209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

See some of you at AMIA 2008 in Savannah, GA Nov 12-15.  Another
informal gathering is being organized.