[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 10, Issue 21

WVGO WVGOfm at aol.com
Tue Apr 21 12:27:46 CDT 2009

I remember when my dad and I were buying quad machines from larger
stations and network facilities for resale to small markets back in the
mid '60s. We bought a mint TRT that was at Johns Hopkins Hospital in MD,
who apparently had never used it.  We had it shipped to the house and I
set it up in the garage.
I was in charge of getting these various machines we bought up and
running, and this one was being very obstinate about the headwheel servo
lock.  This must have been the early version, because it had the
repurposed audio amps on the rack shelves, as Don mentioned,  as MDAs.
I don't remember it having the solid state proc amp of the 1B's that we
had at the tv station at the time.
The main problem ended up being what appeared to be a factory wiring
error on the output terminal strip of one of the headwheel power amps.
After getting that straightened out, that thing was perfect!  This was
the first quad of several that we had actually brought home, and I spent
many enjoyable hours playing tapes downstairs...to the amazement of my
high school buddies.
In retrospect, we should have kept that one as a museum piece, as it was
as close to "new" as you could get.  I've always wondered what happened
to that one......
Guy

www.GuySpiller.com

--