[QuadList] RCA TRT 1 Color vs Non Color versions

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:36:51 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <Chill315 at aol.com>

>I did some more research.  The first TRTs had a tube type Proc  Amp.  It
> appears from the picture that it was a version of the TA-9 Stab  Amp.
> This
> unit does not have any real color controls.  The only one  is the Chroma
> level
> control.  There were other things that I have  noticed.  Early machines
> did
> not have frame pulses.  They had field  pulses.  This was changed about
> 1960 when the SMPTE standard was  adopted.  The early modulators had a
> different set of frequencies for  color.  Then Low Band color was
> standardized.  It
> has been interesting  to look at the instruction book.  The only thing
> that
> is missing is the  capstan servo. But all the rest is there.  I see the
> differences between  the A and B versions.  A lot of improvements.  Some
> are in
> the RF path but control, servo, power supplies, and MDAs appear to have
> been  improved.

Hi Chris:

The MDA's in the A machines were repurposed amps from RCA's audio product
line.  They were shelf-mounted in the racks.  The B machine had MDA's that
were designed for the purpose and built on a bathtub chassis like the rest
of the machine.  The "real" proc amp for the machines was the first solid
state component of the series, followed closely by the Pixlock servo.

Don