[QuadList] TRT 1 Color Standards

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 15:38:01 CDT 2009

After the discussion of color in the early days, I did a look up of the
tape format that RCA used.

The first version of the TRT has two record standards.  One being the
Lo-Band mono that is the same as the current standard.  They had a color  format
that had the frequencies of 5.4 MHz to 6.3 MHz with a pre-emphasis of  9.54
db.  This was close to the final LO-Band Color of 5.5 to 6.5

The real problem was the emphasis curve.  In the TRT-1B the demod had  a
center position for the early color recordings.  It was called VAR.   I always
wondered what this was used for.  This group has provided the  answer in
the history of the RCA machines.

Now the Heterodyne system was a playback system only.  The color was
recorded directly.  It used a system that created a signal comparing the  jitter
of the sub carrier off tape to the house 3.58.  This signal was  changed in
frequency to create a signal corresponding to the jitter.  The  jitter error
was canceled and the result was heterodyned back to normal.

The Non-Phased color mode of the Colortec was used to playback a dub that
had been made using this system.

Information was obtained from RCA schematics and Television Broadcasting
Tape Recording Systems by Ennes.

Chris Hill
web. Get the Radio Toolbar!