[QuadList] NBC Control System

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 1 17:46:28 CDT 2009

		On Apr 1, 2009, at 11:29 AM, David wrote:

 > Here is the first pix that came to mind showing the SC panel in the
background.
 > This shows the machine pairing for zone delay. In this case, VTR 3
and 3A. The SC panel is partially obscured by Steve in the BG.

		I say:

	That control panel looks a bit different from the ones used in New
York:
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3403165017/>

		David:

 > I may have a better pix somewhere of the SC panel. I would bet that
panel had at least 25 years of service before it was removed, all
constructed by Burbank "projects".

		Me:

	I'd love to see it.  You mentioned a floor plan diagram showing the
layout and location of the tape room at the time.  I could do the same
for you on NBC NY's 5th floor tape room in 1978 if you like, done
roughly from 30-year old memory of course!

		David:

 > You may also be curious to know that the entire tape room and edit
bays were fully carpeted with ant-static theater carpeting, along with
sound absorption ceiling tiles. Of course, massive central HVAC and
plant supplied compressed air for the headwheels made for a quiet tape
room, TR's, TCR's, VR's, and later BVH's.

		Me:

	New York also had carpeting on both the floors and some walls and had
ceiling sound tiles as well.
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515355417/>
	But when I worked there in 1978, the place was already quite old and
run down-looking and in need of total replacement.  That replacement
happened with the upgrade to 1-inch and MII systems, which occurred
after I left in 1979.
	In NY, there also was centrally-provided air for the quad VTRs'
headwheel air bearings, but oddly as I remember, most of the TR-70s had
separate vacuum pumps for the guide shoe.  We did some venturi installs
when I was in Tape Maintenance in 1978, allowing the removal of the
vacuum pumps in those machines, but still NBC NY's tape room was
noisier than it needed to be.

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York