[QuadList] NBC Control System

Phillip G. Shaw pshaw at sitestar.net
Mon Apr 6 02:14:30 CDT 2009

[quote]You may have more detailed documentation, but I have several RCA
white papers describing many aspects of NBC systems from back in the 1970's.
Here are links to scans of the first 3 pages of one of the white
papers. This one is named "NBC Switching Central".  Phillip, if you  don't
have this white paper and you'd like to, I've scanned all 10 pages of it and
can either send them to you or link you to the remaining pages once they are
uploaded to Flickr.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3403168581/>

[/quote]

Dennis Degan,

I will do you one better (only kidding). Thanks for the White paper; page 1
has the picture of a very young person that I know well. Dick Edmondson.
Dick & I became good friends when I went into management and he became my
most important source for knowledge. The original system evolved over the
Years but Dick was also a NBC Software consultant for other projects up into
the 90's.  He was living in South Jersey, Medford Lakes.  If he is still on
the planet he would most likely love to talk about the NBC system.

I was never in Burbank...  my sources John Fishettte (SP) VP of Operations
&  Steve Orland, aka "Flat line" when he messed with SC. They had the same
channel Packages and Automation as NY. I think Bob Butler (NY Labs) also
updated the Burbank Sky path at the same time as NY. That team was under
Jack Weir..

The Panel is the Machine Control, the 10 sync sources was before my time.
When you have News, Sports & entertainment plus WNBC & Network it becomes
necessary for multiple timing rings. The ZSD (1 line delay) installation
made the Control Room daisy chains (re-entry) simpler. The ZSD was a
modified NEC FS18 Frame sync. It was not until 1995 that we were able to
replace those with a Leitch (2 line Delay)

Regards,