[QuadList] 15,000 hours of quad tape to be transfered

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat Apr 4 10:58:56 CDT 2009

The problem with purchases off ebay and likely with the PTL tapes is
that there are no rights attached to the content purchased.

We're talking about the right to use the image, voice and name of the
person or people on-screen, rights to use the songs performed and the
music heard (two separate things) especially if union musicians are
playing.

Unless there are file cabinets full of papers covering the above, it
is much more difficult and expensive to pursue marketing products
derived from such purchases.

With the PTL tapes, the things of most potential marketing value are
the music performances.  A DVD collection of those might be salable to
the public, but without the signed talent releases and performance
rights paperwork, one is walking into a legal mine-field.

Without records for the above, can you imagine having to scan through
15,000 hours of PTL tape, noting the people who appeared and what
songs were sung, other music used... and then try to determine how to
get releases and licenses for all of that?  Between the head wear and
secretarial costs, you could dig a pit the sales wouldn't pull you out
of.

Tracking down whom to secure rights from or actually getting
affordable terms from those people can be a problem.

WKRP had to replace quite a few songs used in the "on the air" scenes
before syndication took place because rights to those songs had
expired and couldn't be renegotiated at an affordable rate.

A famous black history documentary that aired on PBS—the name of which
escapes me at the moment—licensed some important clips or music for a
seven year period because that's all they could afford at time of
production.  This was before VHS or DVD sales were contemplated.

The program became "unavailable" until just recently when the program
had a major anniversary and rights were renegotiated.

I think this is a major reason that more vintage television isn't
available on DVD or on the air again.  The original terms didn't go
beyond the original airing.

Nobody had a clue in 1957 when the Edsel Show was recorded that A: It
might actually be saved on Quad, and B: That people might want to
watch the performances 50 years later.

<sigh>

Ted

On Apr 4, 2009, at 8:18 AM, C. Park Seward wrote:

> Now the question is what to do with the stuff.
>
> If I had the tapes, I would make a commission deal with someone who
> wanted to release DVDs.
>> He said his company, Innovation Publishing, could turn the tapes
>> into “Best of PTL” DVDs or stream them on the Web.
>>
>> “Others would be better equipped from a marketing standpoint,” he
>> said. “But we're capable of doing it.”
>>
> But I do think it is a waste of time. There are many religious
> channels that could broadcast the tapes (TBN is right in my
> neighborhood) but they get paid to do that and no one would send
> money in from an old show that cheated people. Not a good revenue
> stream.
>
> One of the 2" 24 track audio tapes I bought on ebay was a Tammy
> Bakker tape with her singing several songs. Do I hear an opening
> bid???  :-0
>
> Best,
> Park
>
> C. Park Seward
> Cell: 818-535-2747
> Home: 949-679-1870
> Visit us: http://www.videopark.com
>

> On Apr 4, 2009, at 7:09 AM, Don Norwood wrote:
>
>> And, as Park accurately surmised............
>>
>> http://www.charlotteobserver.com/faith/story/641774.html
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "C. Park Seward"
>>
>>> IMHO, the library is next to worthless.
>>> There is no shortage of religious programming. It is cheap to
>>> produce  and distribute. And it does tend to be redundant!
>>> While some fans of the old PTL might buy a DVD or two of the
>>> "greatest  hits", few would watch the regular reruns.
>>> I think RCA had a great package deal that was attractive to most
>>> religious broadcasters.
>>> Best,
>>> Park