[QuadList] RCA TRT 1 Color vs Non Color versions

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Apr 21 12:07:52 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <allanmc-avtech at comcast.net>

SNIP

At another studio on the far side of the base we also had an Ampex VR1100. (or was it a VR1000?). This was also about the time when 1" open gate VTRs were also coming out. My memory of that smaller studio was that it was color and that the Ampex 2" quad was color as well. I'd like someone to confirm that since I'm working from a memory more than 40 years ago.

Hi Allan:

If the machine was tube-type, then it was a VR-1000, and if it was color, it was a VR-1000C.  If it was solid state, then it could have been a VR-1100 which was Ampex's first solid state machine, although most 1100's were mono only.  Some were later updated to color however.  By the time you were talking about in the late 60's, if it was color, it was likely either a VR-2000 or a VR-1200.  The VR-2000 was the top-of-the-line production machine.  The VR-1200 was a less expensive and smaller machine.

Below are pics of a couple of my machines that might help you.  The first is a VR-1100 and the second is a VR-1200.  You can see that the basic design is very similar.  The VR-2000 was three racks wide instead of two and had the monitoring in the "side car" rack instead of the overhead bridge.  The 1200 was also available in the side car configuration.

If these don't look like what you remember, I can post some pics of the other models.

Don