[QuadList] Intersync and Lock Up

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 08:16:46 CDT 2009

The discussions and humor is very interesting.

I had the last version of the Inter-Sync produced.  The machines were
manufactured in the early 70's.  It was very stable.  The only reason  that we
let the head run for 30 minutes was to get the guide up to  temperature.  We
found that the tip penetration would change as we edited  if this was not
done.

I also had a TR-60 that was serial number 5.  It would lock up in a  little
longer time than the 1200's.  Every mod that was put out by RCA was  done
to the machine but it still did not help.  The biggest problem was  getting a
good solid lack of jitter from the machine.  Timing was always an  issue.
It did not have a stable 3.58 phase relationship with other  sources.
Always a couple of degrees off each time it played.  It  worked great as a dub
source but through the switcher doing match frames was not  the best.

Regarding the rolling of tape stock from ready or not ready.  The reel
boost comes on for about 1.5 seconds after the play button is pushed.  This  is
in all cases.  The guide comes in depending on if it is up to  speed.
Typically 1 second as determined by the sequence controller.   The pinch roller
is the same.  If the head is not turning, than the time  for the two events
is about 3.8 seconds.

So which is better, letting the tape be under the control of the take up
and supply voltages setting the torque or letting the capstan control the
speed?  I think the answer is really depending on the reel and tape pack
sizes on the two turntable.  I can see where the reel torques will either  have
the tape too slow or too fast before capstan engagement.  Perhaps this  is
why the vacuum columns were invented on the AVR-1.

This would be an interesting discussion to have with the engineers that
designed the transport systems.

Chris Hill