[QuadList] VR-1200B Daily Servo Set UP

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sun Aug 23 18:18:39 CDT 2009

Hi Chris:

I agree absolutely that the machines should lock in 4 seconds (from stop mode, less from standby) if the servo settings are correct.  My point was that with the improvements I mentioned, the servo stays in adjustment, which saves you from having to do the daily setup.  It's not unusual for the error voltages to remain zeroed and the oscillators on frequency for weeks or even months at a time.

Incidently, I'd be curious about how others operate VR-1200/2000 or RCA TR-70 machines regarding rolling old tapes from stop or from standby.  Not what was done "back in the old days", but what you do now with vintage material.  My approach is to always roll from stop.  The reason is that I believe it is easier on the tape, considering that if the capstan is already at speed when the pinch roller engages, it is more stressful to the tape.

Don