[QuadList] Andy Williams (was Question about PAL-M Quad players)

dcfwtx at aol.com dcfwtx at aol.com
Fri Aug 28 14:50:14 CDT 2009

I never had any real problems with the Scotch 179/379 brown stock on Andy Williams LBC's using the AVR-1. And this went back to show # 1 in 1962. Each make of stock has predictable issues and our experience base automatically steers us in the preparation process. I have seen some very butchered up transfers out of another local house done in the 80's where apparently someone either wasn't watching the transfer or just was wasn't technically proficient. We know what to expect with regard to some LBC recordings from certain network facilities. It just comes with the job.

I never had to bake Scotch 179/379 stock as it's binder is not conducive to stickiness in my experience. Chroma 90, later 400, 420, and Ampex stock is another issue. I do realize that everyone has had different experiences around the globe.

David Crosthwait

DC Video
Archived Media Transfer & Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)