[QuadList] Transistors for Ampex AVR-2?

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 10 20:18:59 CST 2009

Hi Steve:

I have long believed that the VR-1200 is the more serviceable machine.  Yes,
there are germanium transistors, and silicon transistors, and even early
IC's in the 1200, depending on what vintage you have.  Remember that the
1200 was made for over 10 years, and through that time, there were a number
of changes.  For instance, later versions of Intersync have major
differences from their earlier cousins.  Bottom line though, is that you
probably have zero chance of replacing a custom IC in the AVR with anything
other than the original part, while you can make circuit changes to
accommodate silicon instead of germanium transistors.  All of that being
said, whichever model you choose, it's a good idea to have at least one
spare machine which can be a parts donor.  Remember that most of the
mechanical parts are also unobtanium.

Another consideration is what your application for the machine will be.  The
"standard" AVR-2 is a high-band only machine.  There were versions that
could accommodate super-high-band, and versions that could play
low-band-color.  I don't believe there were ever any for low-band-mono.  So,
if you need to deal with a variety of standards, the 1200 is much more
versatile as they were all LBM/LBC/HBC machines.  The only thing the 1200
will not do is SHB.

But back to the heart of your question about parts availability, in addition
to spare machines, I also have a stock of spare parts for all the Ampex
machines.  While I'm not in the business of selling parts, I'm always
willing to help out other users in need.  There are also general replacement
transistors which work just fine in most situations where the original Ampex
part is not available.  There are a few critical areas where care must be
exercised when substituting parts, but most modern components far exceed the
specs of the original parts.

One last point, there can be considerable differences in the reliability of
either model, depending on how they have been maintained in the past.  I've
seen machines that were pristine, and machines that have been butchered.  If
at all possible, inspect a machine before you buy it to see how it has been
treated.

Don