[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 8, Issue 9

dennyd1 at verizon.net dennyd1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 14 07:58:50 CST 2009

                On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at  7:24 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:

> If you were going to design a new 2" quad VTR today, what areas of the
> machine would you change? Of course the servos could be made much
> tighter today, maybe even getting direct color without AMTEC or
> COLORTEC. Noise of the video could be reduced, Don has already reduced
> the noise of the audio channel.
> What improvements would you make?

                I suggest:

      Though the servos could be improved, there's actually little need.
The quad format is inherently much more mechanically stable than any
helical format since time-base errors in quad occur across the width of
the tape instead of along its length.  As Park has said in previous
messages, his VR-1200 uses a digital TBC that has some capabilities
ordinary helical format TBCs don't have.  It's not the size of the
correction window that matters as much for quad errors; it's the
accuracy of correction at a narrow level that counts.
      I think preamp noise could stand some improvement in 2" quad
reproduction.  Lower video noise can help everything that follows.
After that, if a VTR has velocity compensation and line-by-line EQ
(allowing saturation to be controlled more accurately), color banding
can be rendered invisible, resulting in pictures that can look as good
as 1" tape (or better).
      Despite my ramblings above, there's little room for improvement in
a machine such as the AVR-1.   ;)

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York